<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.talesofcahcah.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Thrilling Tales of Cah Cah: The Best Unreleased Songs By Lana Del Rey

Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Best Unreleased Songs By Lana Del Rey

There are some artists who are good, some that are amazing, and then there is Lana Del Rey. I know there has been a lot of controversy surrounding her origins, the Lana Del Rey "persona", and her live performances, but if you bother to look into these things you know what it's all about. In case you haven't, let me explain (Short version! That's why you guys love me - I do the dirty work and then compress it for you): Lana Del Rey was born Elizabeth Woolridge Grant on June 21 1986 (some sources say she was actually born in 1985, but I haven't been able to confirm this). She is the daughter of a millionaire yes, but everyone that has ever worked with her (even the people who aren't making money off her now) will tell you he's not to blame for her success - her talents (especially her song writing talent) are genuine. Is Lana Del Rey a constructed persona? Yes, and she'll be the first to tell you. She has given countless interviews about why she chose that name, how much effort it takes to transform into full blown "Lana Del Rey", made jokes about how they've had to hoist her into her shoes for photoshoots because they have been so high, and looking at her street style, it's obvious that she's much more laid back in every day life. For some reason, this has gotten on a lot of people's tits. I don't understand why? Beyonce doesn't prance around in a leotard and full drag makeup at home, no matter what Lady Gaga says there is no way she hangs out in that ghastly meat dress, Rihanna doesn't even go by the name "Rihanna" in private, but by her actual name "Robyn", and so the list goes on. Has she had plastic surgery? I can't say it for certain, because she really is the only one that can, but if you're asking my opinion (and I do have a good eye) I would say that yes, without question, beyond any doubt has she had at least a (fantastic) nose job and lip injections. Why does she deny it, then? Because it's none of our fucking business, and when people ask you about your personal life, it's your prerogative to say whatever the fuck you want. She is a singer/songwriter. Please ask relevant questions. Why are men not questioned about these things? An example that illustrates this:




One more thing I have to say is that even if it turns out that everything about Lana is made up i.e. her entire backstory etc. I really won't care. I'm not interested in her because she was supposedly a teenage alcoholic and lived in a trailer park - I love her music, her lyrics, and the art she creates, and I truly believe that to be authentic. Also, creating a fake life to match your stage persona is brilliant on many levels, most importantly because it allows you to keep the details of your private life private. We are not entitled to know everything about the people we see on TV or in magazines, no matter how much we like to believe we are.


On to her music! Like I said, I fully believe she is the creator and/or co-creator of her own songs, not least because of the fact that song writers (and artists in general) tend to be very proud of their creations, and wouldn't happily let someone else take all the credit for what they've created (I just used the word "create" more than creationists). That being out of the way, we can get down to mindless adoration. Few people in the world make me feel the way she does with her music. Her songs are, in my humble opinion, perfection! All artists have unreleased songs, but unlike most others, all of Lana's are incredible (at least, all the ones I've heard). I figured I should make a list (in no particular order) of my favourites so that you, dear reader, might also enjoy them. I hope you will love them as much as I do.

Kinda Outta Luck





While unreleased, this does have an "official" video. It's very "Video Games" featuring scenes of Lana singing along in between old movie clips.

Favorite part: I really don't have one. This is a very entertaining song, and it's difficult for me to pick out a certain part that is "extra entertaining". Listen to it and you'll know what I mean.


Paris






Ironically, this song reminds me of New York City. I spent a few weeks there in late 2012 visiting one of my best friends, and we had this song on repeat. It's just so sweet!

Favorite part:                                    "Walking through the streets at dawn,
we dance by empty carousels.
Singing 'bout the Sacre Coeur,
and climbing up the Tour Eiffel."


Never Let Me Go


Impossible to find a decent version of this song on YouTube, but I found it here. Just a really.. pleasant song.

Favorite line: "I can be your Nancy, you can be my Sid."



Hollywood's Dead






Favorite line: "I always fall for the wrong guy, things that are bad always taste nice."



Every Man Gets His Wish






Another one of those songs I have a hard time attributing to any particular genre. Maybe someone with greater musical knowledge than myself can help out here.


Favorite part:                                      "I learned how to make love from the movies
                      He found me waitressing at Ruby Tuesdays
                      He said I wanna buy you a classic white milk shake
                      I said I'll serve you up a special side of heartbreak
                      (Special side of heartbreak.)
                      I was working down in the corner café,
                      you drove by in a Chevrolet,
                      whistle at me as my hips go sway
                      'Lana Del Rey, how you get that way?' 
                      'How you get that way?'.
                       I said 
                      'He loves my heart shaped sunglasses.
                       He loves the heart shape my ass is.'"



Driving In Cars With Boys





This song is like a Lana Del Rey version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". That's the best way I can describe it.

Favorite part:                                   "I was born to live fast, die young
 Leave a beautiful corpse, live my life on the run
I got my cash, my Louis Vuitton, diamonds and guns
 Girls just wanna, just wanna have fun."



Queen of Disaster





A recent love of mine, this song is just.. perfection. If you love Lana, you'll fall completely in love with this one.

Favorite part:                             "No other boy ever made me feel beautiful,
When I'm in your arms, feels like I have it all,
Is it your tattoos or golden grill,
That makes me feel this way?

You got me spinning like a ballerina, 
You the bad boy that I always dreamed of,
You're the king and I'm
the Beauty queen of
disaster,
disaster"


TV in Black & White


Another one that's impossible to find on YouTube without featuring an unnaturally high pitched Lana, but is readily available on other web pages, like here. This is currently my very favorite Lana song ever of all time. I am completely in love with it! Such a beautiful song and I feel it epitomizes everything that is Lana Del Rey.

Favorite part:                       "Nobody does have to know that our love is alive
Keep it on the low if you want to hide
Got that same address if you want to write
One Greenwich Avenue
Wishing and thinking of you!

Living without you is like TV in black and white
You turned me on and brought color into my life 
When I'm around you suddenly I realize 
that I was blind before I saw the world through your eyes.

If you get lonely, think of this only
heaven hasn't forgotten about you 
Though you can't hold me, pick up and phone me
use your one phone call on your ex-girl boo"



Hopefully I introduced you to some songs you haven't heard before, and if not, well then at least you have a handy playlist here of songs you already know and love! I'd also like to add that I haven't heard all of her unreleased songs, so you might have a personal favorite that seems like an obvious choice for a "Best of Lana" list, that I might simply never have heard.


If you enjoyed this post, please tweet it, like it and share it with your friends. If you want direct updates whenever I post something new, like my Facebook page or follow me on Bloglovin. Or both!

Yours,



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home